Are you in the mood for a simple, inexpensive, delicious, meal that freezes great. This soup is jammed packed full of exotic and wonderful flavors. You can make it spicy (like we like it) or you can make it mild and either way it’s going to be delicious. By itself or with a crusty piece of bread this brothy soup hits the spot.
You can adjust the quantities in the recipe below by clicking on the servings button. We tend to get out of control when we make our freezer meals so I though this widget will allow for more manageable quantities.
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Easy Freezer Meals Amazon Storefront
This recipe is an adaptation. You can find the original recipe here: https://www.food.com/recipe/tibetan-lentil-soup-19915
Tibetan Lentil Soup
- 3 cups dried lentils
- 12 cups vegetable stock (part of this will be the liquid that the lentils cook in)
- 1/2 cup veg oil
- 3 cups diced onions
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 each jalapenos (seeded for a more mild version)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 48 oz fresh roma tomatoes diced
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 4 tsp coriander powder
- 4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Rinse lentils and place in a pot with all of the vegetable stock. Cover and cook on medium high till the lentils are tender. This should take about 20 – 25 minutes.
- Once the lentils are cooked strain out the liquid and set the lentils to the side. Keep the liquid as we will be cooking the vegetables in this same liquid.
- In a large pot add the oil and begin to saute the onions on a med/high heat. Once soft and translucent add the jalapenos, carrots, and potatoes. Cook until the carrots and potatoes begin to take on a little color. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more. At this point add the coriander, cumin, and the chili powder, Mix well to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes and all of the vegetable stock that the lentils cooked in. Being this to a simmer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook till the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add the lentils and the chopped cilantro and cook for a few more minutes.
- TO FREEZE: Allow the soup to cool and place in a freezer friendly container.
- TO REHEAT: Allow the soup to thaw and heat on the stove top.