Sometimes I’m in the mood for something different. Something creamy, spicy, and exotic. This Thai pumpkin soup really hits the spot.
In this recipe I used a few very special ingredients. These ingredients give this Thai dish it’s unique flavor. Flavors that are synonymous to Thai cooking. If you’ve never had Thai food this dish will blow your mind. I’d have to say that it may be a little overwhelming for your palate at first.
You can control the spice by how much Thai curry paste you add and the way I’ve written this recipe it’s quite spicy.
Enjoy the video as I take you through this recipe step by step and if you make it be sure to let me know how it came out..
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Thai Pumpkin Soup
- 4.5 lb pumpkin any pumpkin will work. Butternut squash is also good
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or sunflower oil, or whatever you have
- 10 oz onions Rough Chopped
- 1/2 tsp powder ginger
- 1/4 tsp lemongrass powder
- 1/4 Kaffir Lime Leaf Powder optional but so GOOD
- 1/2 cup Thai red curry paste use 1/4 cup for a less spicy dish
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4.5 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Roast pumpkin at 425f till completely soft then remove the skin and seeds. Set to the side.
- If you are using fresh lemon grass then bash the stems of your lemon grass and wrap in cheesecloth. If not just skip this step
- In your oil add the onions, ginger powder, and lemon grass powder. Cook on medium high till the onions are softened. Add your red curry and cook another 5 minutes. Be sure to mix well.
- Add your roasted pumpkin, coconut milk as well as your vegetable stock and stir well. At this time you can add you kaffir powder if you are using that ingredient. Cook for 10 -15 minutes on a medium heat.
- In your blender, blend all ingredients together except the lemon grass, if you are using fresh (remove them). Do this in batches till all your soup is pureed. Taste your soup and add the final optional ingredients if you choose. Fish sauce, brown sugar, and lime/lemon juice. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a drizzle of coconut milk, fresh cilantro, kafir lime leaves, or toasted coconut. Enjoy.
- Freezer Meal Instructions
- To freeze make sure your soup is cooled down. Package in 1 quart freezer saver bags and vacuum seal. You can also package in 1 quart ziplock bags and freeze. To reheat simply thaw dish and heat on stove top. Serve and enjoy.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.