I absolutely love Thai food. So much flavor packed into every single bite! In today’s recipe we will be making a Thai coconut curry from scratch. This is a mild curry so if you like the heat don’t be afraid to really add the spice. After all Thai food is famous for it’s unrelenting heat.
For this dish we cook our chicken separate then add it at the end. We do this primarily because we run a freezer meal business and want to maintain quality control but this is totally optional. If you prefer to cook your chicken with this curry I might suggest using boneless skinless chicken thighs as they can withstand the longer cooking times. White meat tends to dry out rather fast. As a side note this is a great recipe to make when you have extra cooked chicken and you are looking for a really fun and exotic way to use it up. Just toss it in at the very end and voila!!
Curries make exceptional freezer meals. All you have to do is package them in a freezer friendly container and freeze. The less air you have in your container the better. I vacuum seal mine in bags that can be boiled afterwards. This makes freezing and reheating a snap!!
Here are a few special items that I used in this recipe
- Fish Sauce
- Shrimp Paste
- Galangal (Thai Ginger)
- Kaffir Leaves
- Lemon Grass
- Coconut Oil
- 17″ cast iron skillet
- Vitamix 750 Heritage Pro Model
- Vac Master Vacuum Sealer
- Boilable 6″ x 8″ Vac Bags
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Easy Freezer Meals Amazon Storefront
Thai Coconut Chicken Curry
For the Curry Paste
- 4 oz chopped onion
- 6 tbsp garlic
- 3 inch piece of galangal or ginger
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. Thai Chili Flakes for a spicier version add 1-2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fish sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk (bottom only) or 1/2 tsp lemongrass powder
The rest of the ingredients
- 3 lbs cooked diced chicken
- 3 cans coconut milk
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 1.5 lbs potatoes chopped into small chunks
- 1.5 tsp whole cumin seed toasted
- 3 kaffir lime leaves chopped finely
- 2 lbs tomatoes diced small (or pulsed in a food processor)
- 1 cups toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or vegetable oil
- Start by adding all the curry ingredients into a blender. Blend till you have a smooth sauce.
- In a cooking pot heat your oil and add the curry sauce. Cook on medium high stirring often for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, and diced potatoes. Cook on a medium heat till the potatoes are tender.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped kaffir lime leaves, toasted cumin seed, and toasted coconut. Cook another 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add your cooked chicken breast to the curry. Serve with Jasmine rice & Enjoy
To freeze and reheat
- to freeze store cooled curry in freezer friendly containers. I use vac seal bags but freezer zip lock bags work as well. In a vac sealed bag your curry will last up to a year. IN a zip lock bag your curry will last 4-6 months.
- to reheat, remove from freezer allow to thaw and heat in a pot on a medium heat until warmed through. The bags I use are boilable. If you are using these bags just place the bag in simmering water and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe has been adapted from the following recipe: https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-thai-coconut-curry-chicken-3217264
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.