Soups make great freezer meals. You can quote me on that!! This soup has it all. It’s hearty, meaty, spicy, brothy, and loaded with flavor.
I’m not sure what I like most about this soup. It could be the little kick that the smoky chipotle seasonings add, maybe the subtle flavor of the roasted red bell peppers, perhaps even the smooth and creamy black beans. Either way this soup is amazing and very easy to make.
This soup is all about building the layers of flavor. I like to slightly caramelize my corn before adding it to the soup. I also like to roast the bell peppers. Both of these steps are optional but the elevated flavor that it brings to this soup is amazing.
Once you are finished with this soup be sure to taste for any spice adjustments. I often find that I’ll need a little more salt, cumin, or oregano at the very end. Enjoy the video and I hope you get a chance to make it..
Easy Freezer Meals Amazon Storefront
Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 1.5 cups cups of sweet corn Kernels
- 12 oz roasted red bell pepper
- ½ lb zucchini small dice
- ½ lb onion chopped
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper powder or 4 chipotle peppers chopped up
- 24 oz stewed diced tomatoes
- 8 oz pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2 lbs black beans canned
- 3 oz chopped cilantro optional
- 4 lb chicken white meat
- Dice onions and zucchini set aside. Roast red bell peppers on an open fire till skin is completely charred. Place in a covered bowl for 10 minutes. In a cast iron skillet with a little oil gently cook the corn till it starts to caramelize. Set aside. After 10 minutes wash the charred skin off the roasted bell peppers, remove the seeds and dice. Set aside.
- Prepare your chicken however you want. Season with garlic salt, pepper, cumin, and oregano. We sous vide our chicken but you can cook it which ever way you want just be sure not to over cook it.
- In a pot with a little oil cook your zucchini and onions till onions are soft (8-10minutes). Add your chipotle powder and stir well. Stir in your tomatoes, pizza sauce, chicken stock, and seasonings and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Finally add your cooked black beans and cilantro to your finished soup and stir will. If you want it to be more soupy you can always add more chicken stock. Finally add your chicken to your soup and let it rest in the soup 5 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh tortilla chips and a dollop of sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Simply package your cooled soup into zip lock bags or freezer saver bags. Be sure to mix your soup will as the veggies tend to settle to the bottom. Label and freeze. Good for 6 months in zip lock or 1+ year in freezer saver bags.
- To make tortilla chips use fresh corn tortillas and slice into strips. Fry in hot oil (350f) for 2 minutes till crispy. Take out of oil and place on paper towels and while still hot sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.