We are always looking for side dishes that are easy to make and great fillers. Home Fries is one of the easiest.
Roasted potatoes, sauteed onions, bell peppers, with a Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast topping. Great fresh or as a freezer dish.
Making this dish is really straight forward. Wash the potatoes but do not peel them. So much flavor and nutrients in the peel of the potato. Next toss the potatoes in olive oil and seasonings. Then you’ll roast the olive oil coated and seasoned potatoes in a blazing hot oven for about 45 minutes or till they are nice and tender. Roasting the potatoes elevates the flavor, gives you a nice crispy exterior, and a soft and fluffy inside. The rest of this recipe is all about the toppings.
If you happen to have a cast iron skillet this is the time to pull it out! Saute the vegetables in a little olive oil with some salt and pepper till they are soft. Remove them from the heat and set to the side to cool.
By this time the potatoes should be finished roasting. Taste for any seasoning adjustments. All you have to do now is toss everything together and top with a little cheese or nutritional yeast. This if course is optional but adds a nice flavor when reheated.
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
- 5 lbs Russet Potatoes skin on
- 1 lb onion sliced
- 1 lb bell peppers sliced
- salt & Pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for vegetarian topping (optional)
- nutritional yeast for vegan topping (optional)
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into wedges leaving the skin on.
- place cut potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Next season them with salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
- Roast the potatoes in a preheated 450F oven till tender
- In a cast iron skillet begin to sautee the sliced bell peppers and the onions in a little olive oil till softened. Season with a little salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set to the side.
- To assemble as a freezer meal place the roasted potatoes in a freezer friendly container, top with the sauteed vegetables, and sprinkle either Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast on top (optional). Cover tightly and freeze
- Thaw Home Fries and bake in a preheated 350F oven till warmed through.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.