Are you ready for an incredibly delicious and easy (two words I love to hear in the same sentence) freezer meal. This Mexican Turkey Taco Casserole is the answer. Lots of flavor, an assortment of vegetables, and very inexpensive to make.
This recipe is also highly customizable and it will still turn out delicious. You can add carrots, zucchini, potatoes, spinach, or even eggplant (if you want to). You can use ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork, or a combination of all three. You can reduce the liquid at the end, drain it out, or if you want to really have some fun you can make a rice flour slurry and add it to this casserole for a gravy sauce that’s super yummy!!
Regardless of how you make this recipe it will be a fun freezer meal that you’ll be able to enjoy with the whole family. The kids will even love it!!
One thing I do want to mention when it comes to cheesy freezer meals. Always cover with foil. This keep the cheese from cooking to fast and allows it to melt evenly. If you want a cheesy crust then remove the foil about 15 minutes before your food is done cooking. Voila! Enjoy
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Mexican Turkey Taco Casserole
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 oz onion diced
- 1 bunch green onions tops and bottoms divided
- 16 oz green bell peppers diced
- 2 jalapenos finely chopped seeded and veined for a milder version
- 1/2 cup black olives finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 lbs ground turkey
- 30 oz cooked black beans
- 30 oz sweet kernel corn
- 30 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 ½ tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chipotle powder
- 2¼ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- .5 oz cilantro chopped
For the assembly
- corn tortillas
- cheddar cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- ½ bunch green onion tops sliced
- In a large pot begin to sautee the chopped green onion bottoms and the diced onions till translucent. Add the green bell peppers, jalapenos, and olives and cook for 5 minutes more on a medium heat. Finally add the minced garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the ground turkey and cook till it begins to brown. Add the seasonings and mix to make sure the meat is well broken up. Once the turkey is fully cooked add the black beans, corn, crushed tomatoes, chopped cilantro, and the green onion tops. Bring to a simmer and cook till the liquid reduces.
To assemble the casserole
- Start by layering the Turkey mix in a freezer friendly container. Next add a layer of cheese, add a layer of corn tortillas, followed by more cheddar cheese. Now add more turkey mix, cheddar cheese, tortillas, and top it off with a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Garnish with sliced green onion tops. Wrap tightly and freeze
- To heat up remove from freezer, cover with foil and bake in a 350F preheated oven for 45-60 minutes. If you want a cheesy crust remove the foil about 20 minutes before your casserole is finished baking. Enjoy.
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.