I love Chinese take out. What I love even more is being able to make it myself for half the price!! Chinese honey chicken is one of those dishes that we don’t make often but do like to treat ourselves from time to time. We especially like to serve this with our Chinese Fried Rice. Talk about delicious!!
There’s a few steps to making this dish and if you take them one at a time you’ll do just fine. First you’ll want to prepare the chicken.
This step is all about packing our boneless skinless chicken breast with flavor. I like to use buttermilk here, but if you don’t have buttermilk you can just add regular milk or even water. In addition to the buttermilk you’ll add all of the chicken seasonings and mix well. Allow this sit for an hour or so.
While your diced chicken is marinating you’ll want to prepare the slurry by adding all the slurry ingredients together and mixing well. This batter will coat each one of your chicken pieces and fry to golden crispy perfection. So once your chicken has finished marinating add the slurry to the chicken and mix well so that all the chicken pieces are coated.
Finally it’s time to make the sauce. Combine all the sauce ingredients and heat on a low fire till the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and set to the side.
Now that all of your elements are assembled all you need to do now is fry your chicken. It’s important to keep your heat at a constant 375-400F. You can monitor this by using a DOT by Thermaworks or a Thermapen MK4. Keeping your oil hot ensures that you fry your chicken evenly. Another tip when frying is to not over crowd your pan. After each frying session be sure to remove any loose fried pieces from the oil so that they don’t burn.
After all your chicken has been fried it’s time to toss it in the sauce. Enjoy for dinner and freeze the leftovers. YUMMY
Hope you get to try this Chinese take out classic. You do lose a little of the crispness of the batter on the reheat but the dish is so delicious that you won’t even miss it…
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store.
Chinese Honey Chicken
The Sauce (combine these ingredients together and heat so that the sugar dissolves)
- 1 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup honey
The Slurry (combine all ingredients in a bowl and gently mix to combine)
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ginger Powder
- 5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 1/3 cups Corn Starch
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Ice Cold Water
- 3 lg Eggs
- 1/4 cup Veg. Oil
- 2 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil
- 5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into small chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Cut chicken into small cubes, place in a non reactive bowl and add the buttermilk and seasonings and toss to coat all the chicken. Set in the fridge and let marinate for an 30 minutes to an hour
- After it has marinated add the slurry to your chicken and mix well to coat all the pieces.
- In a large cast iron skillet add enough oil to give you an inch of oil in your pot. Heat to 375-400F. Carefully add each piece of chicken to the oil and fry for 1-2 minutes till golden brown. Be sure to not over cook the chicken and try not to over crowd your frying pan. Keeping your fire on med-high will ensure that you stay at the right temp.
- Between each fry clean out any bits of slurry that remain with a scooper so as to not contaminate your oil too much. You should be able to fry 5 pounds of chicken without having to change out your oil.
- Finally, gently heat the honey chicken sauce on the stove top to dissolve the sugar. Once dissolved turn the heat off and set to the side. Toss with your battered chicken and enjoy for dinner or freeze for later.
- To freeze simply portion what you want to freeze in a tin and cover with aluminum foil. You can also place in a sous vide bag and gently vacuum seal it. To reheat take it out of the freezer and let thaw. Wrap with foil and place in an preheated oven set to 350F and bake for 30 minutes…
This recipe was adapted from www.theartofcooking.org
We are Amazon Affiliates which means if you happen to buy something from Amazon after clicking one of our links we get a tiny percentage. This happens at no cost to you and really helps us offset the costs of running this site. Thank you in advance.