We use a lot of BBQ Sauce when making a few of our dishes. It can get really expensive and some of those ingredients are a tad bit questionable. Out of necessity i wanted to see how easy it was to make this sauce at home.
To my surprise it was incredibly easy and I must admit that I did try a bunch of different recipes before I settled on this version. BBQ flavors come in a wide variety. Bold, spicy, hickory, sweet, honey, you name it. There’s a flavor out there for everyone it seems. This recipe was a nice balance of tangy, sweet, smoky, and bold. I made a few adjustments to suite my tastes and I think you are going to love the end result.
This recipe has lots of room for modifications. I even added some suggestions in the printable recipe box below. If you do make this BBQ Sauce be sure to leave me a comment and let me know what you think or what modifications you made.
If you want to see the different things that we use in our kitchen be sure to check out our new Amazon Store. We are affiliates and if you happen to buy something from amazon we get a tiny commission. This helps support our channel at no cost to you.
Our video tutorial on how to make BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 16 oz onion peeled and rough chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Salt kosher
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 16 oz Brown Sugar
- 4 cups Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Mustard
- 1/2 cup Worcester Sauce
- 2 tbsp Liquid Smoke
- Adjust salt and sweetness to taste.
Optional ingredients that you can add:
- Jack Daniels
- Chipotle peppers
- Ghost Chili
- Mango puree
- In a skillet heat the oil and saute the onions till soft and translucent on a medium/high heat. Add the garlic and cook another minute or 2.
- Blend the onions, garlic, and the oil in your blender till it becomes a puree.
- Place the onion/garlic puree back on the heat in a medium size pot on medium heat. Add all of the spices and cook for a few minutes. Next add the rest of your ingredients stirring well to incorporate. Once it has all been well incorporated turn heat to low and cook for 45 minutes to an hour. Loosely cover so as not to splatter
- Cool your sauce down and package it up in 1 pint freezer saver bags or freezer zip lock bags for later use.
This recipe has been adapted from: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/kittencals-famous-barbecue-sauce-for-chicken-and-ribs-232433.